Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Many Stories of a park

It was on a lovely sunday evening, I thought I needed some fresh air and decided to head to a park close to my house for an evening walk.
The park was huge and crowded. There were people of all ages, the grand octogenarians to kids with their tiny cycles. People were present there for different reasons. Some wanted to cut those extra kilos and going by the look on their faces, they seemed determined like a warrior, ready to kill their enemies, though the enemies here were the ones they invited! All the beer and the fries seemed hiding beneath their tummy.
Amongst the huge crowd present there that evening, there were the city's Romeos and Juliets making full use of the park benches. I, at once thought this was a free society. But this is India, we still love our old believes, we love being nosy, we like intrusion. The elderly couple walking past a bench were the young lovers were sitting, holding hands and were lost in their world gave them "WTF, this is a park, not your private space" look and the young girl sitting on the bench quickly moved her hand away, ashamed and sat as though nothing had happened. It's amazing how those looks always work.
I took some inspiration from the fellow weight-loser and decided to walk fast. I was lost in my own thoughts, contemplating about the various happenings in my life. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard some swear words in the native language. I looked around and noticed a middle aged couple walking fast behind me and the wife seemed to have taken the lead in the argument about god knows what. I was curious and wanted to know what was going on. I quickly slowed down and waited until they passed me. They did. I was happy and I had a strong motive now to cancel my meeting with an old friend and stay in the park for a longer time. The argument continued and the popular cliche was true here, the husband was only listening. After following them for a few minutes, I guessed the couple are having this tiff over yet another popular cliche, the lady talking now hated her husband's mom and probably vice-versa.
I finally decided to stop the secret hearing and move on. The innocent curiosity that I had initially was now getting on my nerves.
As I walked down a few meters, i encountered a bunch of men, old by age but young at heart. I was amazed as I heard them talk about Katrina Kaif's pink skirt in one of the latest songs. One old man was saying to the other " Katrina looks better in the pink skirt rather than the saree she wore in the movie". The other man replied " True! But she can carry off anything. Akshay and Katrina are great together. Twinkle is no where close to Katrina". This is one of the incident I fondly remember. At least these old men knew how to keep themselves happy and I thought there was a moral for everyone.
I moved on and saw a bunch of happy teenagers playing cricket. They really didn't have anything to worry about. I wished my life was like that, carefree. But growing old has it's own rules and worries.
I had almost completed two rounds of the park and spent almost an hour. I thought I should return home. When I was about to leave, I saw two drunk men sitting on the park bench just before the exit gate. The two men had no idea where they were and what they were up to. They were in high spirits, swearing at their family members and other random things. They were a sort of nuisance to the others. I watched them for a minute and had a good laugh. It was funny, they did not look at each other but looked straight as they spoke. The hands, legs had no co-ordination. They even yelled at one of the passerby.
I finally decided to return home with mixed emotions and that is where I thought I will write this blog.


P.S - this is just a very small effort to start blogging, a very lame effort I must say :)

No comments:

Post a Comment