Thursday, July 2, 2009

Deutschland eintrag.... Part I

I'm here, finally!!

After having reluctantly decided on the course I wanted to study, I applied for a visa to Germany with much excitement. I even started learning German. I knew I had got a seat in a very prestigious university to study, its an irony people haven't heard too much about this place. Ilmenau.
After unexpected delays and holidays, I applied for my visa on the 24th of August. History was made. Ever since I had graduated, I wanted to do my Masters but never could shortlist on the country or the course. But now after 20 something years (what do you expect?! I'm not telling my age), I've come to realize about my much awaited (not only by me but my family too) Masters degree, that I was going to do at Technical University of Ilmenau or simply TU-Ilmenau. Cool,eh?
The VFS guys gave me an appointment for my interview with the consulate after a week. I had to go to Chennai for this. My whole family drove all the way from Bangalore to Chennai for my interview which lasted for about 15 mins but the wait was bout 4 hrs. Yes!! My appointment time was at 9:45am. Skipping breakfast, I and my dad reached the Consulate at 9:15am. I was told to show my face only 15 mins before the 'appointment' time. We waited outside sitting on the footpath and my dad was advising me to be calm. I was, actually. So at 9:40, I went near the security gate, the security guard there yelled "Appointment letter dikhao?". I showed it to him. He asked me to go in. I had mixed feelings as I entered. I had finally made it to my visa interview and I was content but at the same time I was anxious about my interview too. The clock struck 10 and nobody called my name. The other assistant guy who was inside who took our attendance (well, more or less), checking if we've made it or not, gave me a look. I smiled and went to him to ask when my interview was. He said "You have to wait, madam. Please sit there on the 4th chair in the first row'. I was upset but couldn't help. I went and sat there. After sometime, two other girls came and sat next to me. We exchanged smiles and started talking. I, then realized that many people who were waiting with me had the same appointment time!

At around 12:45pm, I was called and the consulate lady asked me questions, I more or less expected. I was told I'll get my visa, in case its approved only after 4 or 8 weeks. I came out of the place and joined my dad who had been patiently waiting without any food. So went to the hotel we stayed and joined the family and had a good lunch and left to Bangalore.

Days went by and I was still waiting for my visa. All through I did nothing but play Farmville, Cafe world and Fish tank on facebook. It used to make me happy.

In this long wait, a memorable event happened in my life. I got engaged to the love of my life. I was on top of the world. Like the popular cliché, everything around me made me happy. But this was until my fiance' left to UK for his studies. I was sad and happy. Sad because of the obvious separation and happy because he was doing something he liked. We all went to the airport to say good-bye. It was an overwhelming moment. We said our byes and returned home and since it was still early morning, I thought of continuing my sleep.
At around 11am, my mother woke me up with a letter in her hand. She told me it is for me and had some German consulate stamp on it. I woke up and kept my fingers crossed hoping it wasn't a rejection letter. I read the letter only to realize my visa was getting more complicated. It took me about 10 days to figure out the pros and cons and find a solution to it. I did without loosing temper or hope.
And finally, after two long months, I got my approval letter; just after deepavali. It made me extremely happy. I collected my approval letter and sent my passport for stamping on the same day. After this, I and my mom went on a marathon shopping spree and about woolen clothing in different colours and designs. Marathon packing sessions, re-packing and additions and deletions of things were on their way.
The day I was supposed to leave had finally arrived. 24th Oct, 2009. Wow! I had butterflies in my stomach as I woke up that morning. This was going to be my first trip aboard. I wasn't so excited about leaving home on that day. I cried and hugged my family members frequently telling them I'm gonna miss them a lot. But I chose this path and had to live-up to it.
So we all left to the airport at around 5:30. I had about 40kilos of luggage. My would-be mom-in-law and dad-in-law were coming to the airport. We all met at around 6:30pm and sat down near a bench and I was getting lot of advise and motivation from my people. I needed all of that. I finally went inside at around 7:15pm. Two hours before my flight. I was flying with Sri Lankan Airlines. I went to the counter and the man there asked for the usual documents, my passport, visa, air ticket etc. Much to my amusement, he asked for a college offer letter and an extension letter (since I was joining late to my university). I fired back saying why I needed to show him all these irrelevant docs. They made me wait for a while and in that time, two officers made friends with me. They assured it would be OK in a bit. I waited nervously. After about 15 mins, one of the officers, who was now my 'friend' asked for my passport and air ticket again. I gave it to him. After some lazy typing on his computer, he asked someone else for my boarding pass. He said to me, "I'm going to put you on BUSINESS CLASS from Bangalore to Colombo". I couldn't believe it. I said "Pardon me?" and he repeated the same thing. Wow! He did this because his ex-girlfriend's name was the same as mine! I thanked him and took my boarding pass. In this time, they weighed my luggage and it weighed 2.5 kilos more than I was allowed to take. They said it was OK and I needn't pay for it. Not a bad start, I thought to myself.
So I took my cabin bag, a heavy back-pack and a sling that had my books and reached the entrance door to the airport and spoke to my family again, describing this whole experience and a chance to travel Business class on my maiden trip aboard. My family members laughed and wished me luck.
I went to the security gates and there was a kannadiga who was doing all the checking. He asked me in kannada why I was going alone to Germany in all the places. I told him for my 'higher' studies. He said "Yakamma asht doora hogtaidya? Bere friends adru idara?". I was suddenly emotional and wanted to run back to my parents. But I resisted and told him, I did have a kannadiga friend there and everything will be good. Yes, I was telling that to myself as well.
After that, the usual security check was done and I went inside. I was seeing this airport for the first time. BIAL is not all that huge, but it is nicely done. I drank water and waited near gate 20. After about 5 mins, Sri Lankan Airlines announced boarding for all passengers of flight UL 172 flying from Bangalore to Colombo. Wth an adrenaline rush, I went inside. There was a cool 'skyline' walk that led to the plane. Before I could realized, I was inside the plane. The air-hostess welcomed saying "Aayu bhuvaan". I was finally here, I thought to myself. I got inside and looked for my seat "3D". It was a business class seat very close to the entrance. I kept my cabin luggage inside and sat down with the sigh of relief. Then, I called my parents who were on their way home and told them, proudly that I was sitting on a business class seat. They were happy and told me to eat well and relax. Then, I called my mom-in-law and told her bout the same. She, too asked me to relax and enjoy my flight and eat whatever food was available.
I switched off my phone as the captain announced the flight was clear for take off. In the mean time, a gentleman came and sat next to me.

Will continue the rest in my next blog.
I'll need to clean my room now and start studying.

3 comments:

  1. 'In the mean time, a gentleman came and sat next to me.'

    Ending on a cliff-hanger? Dan Brown would be proud. Your fiance, however, would be alarmed if he didn't know what happened next.

    That business class bump-up was nice. Wish I were that lucky. You know, secretly, my friends all call me whatever-the-pilot's-wife-is-called.

    You bet you have to start studying. You've gone through a Himalayan struggle to get there and I'm proud of you for that. Now, make me prouder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arjun - I'll try. I can't make any promises. :) (The last lines from one German a@# who cancelled my accommodation before I left B'lore which made my life miserable and my first trip aboard was so not happening because of this)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arjun - I had told my fiance everything bout the man who sitting next to me. Now, it seems like my fiance has forgotten everything. Sorry-ma innond sala heLakke agalla. :)

    ReplyDelete